Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rule #1 Helpful Vienna hints for visitors!

I have learned a thing or two in a short time about living in Vienna.
Throughout this blog will be a bit of a crash course in how to get
around, get things done.

Rule #1 - think about what you get done errand wise in a normal
American day and mark everything except for the 2 most important off
your list and you might accomplish it. For example in 30 minutes at
home I can drop off and check out library books, run through Krankies,
pick up my fruits and veggies from Julie's house, run through Harris
teeter for tonights dinner, and grab a few things at the dollar store,
all while have my daughter text 5 people to plan the next 30 minutes.
Life has slowed down for us quite a lot and I think the thing I
love/hate about home is how productive I can be with a cell phone and
a minivan.

Dragging groceries up a hill both ways, is good but man do you ever
have to priorities in the grocery, I don't care if Diet Coke is on
sale, and so far it never has been, I am not dragging it up the hill
for love or money! Packaged foods like frozen pizza are great but
take up a lot of space in the orange grocery rolling thing. Mind you
this is a staple of our diets! But you have to prioritize, a) can I
carry it and b)if I don't get more of it, I have to get back and
stinking get more tomorrow. A constant dilemma. Our diet here is not
variable at all for this reason. I cannot collect enough stuff to
offer many different kinds of options for meals like we do at home.

Below is a quick breakdown of some stores that was extremely helpful
to me! My friend Jen Beilman and Stacy Hunter were great guides in
this area.

If you see DM - think drug store, CVS, Walgreens
If you see Mueller - think Target, BUT they wrap presents for you for
free! Legos, train sets, kitchen, shampoo.
If you see Hofer - think Aldi cause they are the same thing (bring CASH)
If you see Eurospaar - think Kroger or Harris Teeter
If you see Merkur - think bigger grocery store, lots of brands and departments
If you see Bipa - think Walgreens with a touch of Spencers (even
though they have handcuffs and other police type devices, this is not
a law enforcement supply store) This so far is labeled, store most
likely to get my kids to say, "what is that for mommy?'

This is just an initial list...more later!

1 comment:

Brad & Stacey said...

I love the Spencer comparison! Very funny! Yes- everyday I think...what can I carry in my "rolly-thingy" :)aka my "granny cart"

So glad you got to experience life in Vienna, and that we got to meet you! :)