Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spain

This is long overdue. We traveled to Spain for our first break. This
trip started out so good! First of all on the way to the airport we
met a really nice man Godfried who helped us find our way and who we
enjoyed speaking to very much. That is the bittersweet thing about
travel. Along the way you meet people and connect with them, you say
to yourself..."this person would be my friend in another situation, we
would totally hang out!" Alas, you would never know. We don't learn
their last name and will likely never see them again in this world.
It really is great to meet nice people along the way of our journey
though, it gives a view a cross-section view of humanity which for the
most part...is looking pretty good.

So Spain, what can I say, my favorite country in the world, so far..I
haven't seen Italy yet! Why? The people are friendly, kind, funny,
and LOUD! LOVE IT! The vegetables are amazing!!!! Our kids went
bananas over the oranges and peppers! The part of Spain we went to
was cool in that it was a total hangout for English expats who have
opened pubs, fish and chip stands and serve tea. We had fun meeting
interesting people and working on our British English more than our
Spanish. There is not many things cuter than Matthew saying, "would
you like a spot of tea". Spain was relaxing and sunny and a great
break. We met some WS/Lexington friends the Gallahers there for some
Spanish Wine.

While in Spain we celebrated our son Aiden's birthday, he turned 8.
Celebrating my birthday in a bar in Spain sounds like a GREAT idea,
but for an 8 year old maybe they would want to play laser tag with
their friends or something. This little guy. What a treat he is.
His response when I told him we were eating at the resort bar was "I
was HOPING we would eat there for my birthday!" The graciousness
that he displayed while celebrating his birthday humbles me. I love
his kind heart and the joy he reflects when he talks about the little
things. We had a fun family birthday all the while wondering if the
bar guy really did buy a cake. Mind you this is the same bar guy who
told me I was "hot" so I thought he might have had a screw loose...

did I mention before how much I love Spain!

No comments: