Monday, January 3, 2011

50 pound dilemma



Our bags are packed and sit collectively in our front foyer. I cannot help but wonder whether any of the bags exceed the 50 pound limit imposed by the airlines. A couple of summers ago we were bringing suitcases full of shoes to donate to various organizations in Nicaragua. Some of the bags were over the limit and the airlines made us jettison (sorry, Annamae, but you know how much I like this word) weight before we could check the bags. It was really depressing to glance garbage cans overflowing with shoes that would never meet the feet of Nicaraguan children who played bare foot in garbage dumps full of needles, dung, and other disease-causing debris.

For our current trip we won't be discarding donations, but our own clothes. We've vacuum packed most of our stuff, which could make for an especially problematic situation. If we have to open any of those bags they will swell like a high school zit before a big dance, leaving us with no chance of fitting them back in the suitcase (unless, of course, the airlines loans us a vacuum!).

All of this begs the question, "How much does 50 pounds feel like?" I really am a bad judge of weight because I tend to dramatically underestimate my own strength. I may not look the part, but within my unremarkable frame lives an orchestra of muscles, tissues, ligaments, cartilage, bones and other anatomical ingredients that when firing in unison can propel small aircraft and produce energy for 100's of homes.

So what does 50 pounds compare to? A tube TV? My head? Weigh in here (yes, pun intended).

5 comments:

Annamae said...

Steve, this is brilliant! OK, just making sure the comment function works.

Jeanie Baird said...

Hilarious post, but do ya have a bathroom scale to put the bags on? That would give you a rough estimate at least.

laGrimstad said...

You should lift up a small child that may be running around your household then compare. ;)

Laura and Walter said...

funny, funny guy! :)

EstherNow said...

I have tried REPEATEDLY to comment on this MOST fabulous post, but I have been thwarted by technology at every turn.

It is a joy to read the way Steve turns a phrase with his writing and thoughts. His narrative is exceptional. I LOVE knowing what you all are up to and doing!

I have thought about you frequently for days, and especially on Tuesday's departure. I have wanted to let you know, but my i-Phone would not agree to post my comment. Blah.

I was already salivating about your posts before you even left, and now I see that I have SEVERAL more to catch up on. Weeee!

I am beyond excited for you all, My Friends! I will be living vicariously through your experience!