Thursday, January 6, 2011

Better Out, Than In I Always Say

For those of you who are Shrek fans, you know that the title of this post refers to Shrek's excuse for burping in front of Fiona's parents. Well, I would say that Matthew is my little Shrek. We really never know what is going to come out of his mouth.

This morning he surprised all of us. The entire family slept from 8pm until 9:30am, except me. I was up at 5am and enjoyed a 4.5 hour "quiet time." This is something that NEVER happens. During that time I was able to read, work on a syllabus, pray, and sip coffee. But my respite was interrupted by Matthew crying and saying that he had "threw up." Turns out he really wasn't feeling well. He managed to vomit nothing but liquid a few times in about 30 minutes. He then ate like a horse and has been fine ever since. It makes me kind of regret my last words to him last night. After complaining of being hungry I sent him to bed and said that he did not eat his dinner and it was not in the garbage. Oops.

This evening we went on our first bus ride. I was nervous upon learning that if you didn't properly pay for your fare they would fine you 60 euros on the spot. If you didn't have the money then they would mail you a bill. So we decided not to get off the bus. We just followed it on the loop all the way back to our house. Yes, we are risk takers. But during that ride Matthew seemed agitated. When I asked him what was wrong he said, "This place stinks. There isn't even enough snow to sled. I thought there was going to be snow!" For weeks I've talked about sledding EVERY DAY with the kids, and now we cannot even do it. Oops (#2).

On the positive side, there is a park one block away with a huge playground and a skating rink. I saw kids playing hockey there this afternoon. Tomorrow I will take Matthew and the gang there and let him enjoy the outdoors. Just to give him the feeling that he is sledding I might shove some ice cubes down his pants while sliding him across the frozen pond.

Tschoos.

2 comments:

Steven Giles said...

It is supposed to say "throwing food out" without the NOT. In other words, I threw his food out.

EstherNow said...

Thanks for the clarification on throwing the food out. I thought I was missing a piece of the psychological fathering there. :)

Please tell Matthew that Jennifer and Riley are happy that he is feeling better - future ice cubes and all! :)

Give Lily and Aiden HUGE hugs from Jennifer and Riley! We are so excited (and jealous) for everyone!