Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bits and Bites! Some of our favorite yummies!

So as many of you who know me know, I like to eat! I like good food and I like different food. We have forgone the rules of our recent diet changes to be able to enjoy the riches of this new place. With strict food guidelines and individual personal convictions about food here in Vienna, we have been told and believe strongly that we are eating quality products when we partake of meat, cheeses, and local street vendors. It is fun to shop at the grocery and buy something you have no idea what it will taste like but take the plunge anyway. One of the great and fantastic finds we have made is this brand of bread (see picture), when you slice off a hunk and give it to your kids and hear "this tastes like pound cake" you know you have found a winner! In addition to the loaf tasting like pound cake the sandwich bread of this same brand follows suit and does a 6 rotation dive into my frying pan when I make french toast with it. I never had imagined french toast made out of pound cake, but seriously I am game now! Also of enjoyment to my kids is this carbonated apple drink (see picture)! IF you look at the picture closely AFTER your kids have guzzled half a bottle you might have a bit of a start as I did and think you just served them some sweet form of beer. IF this happens to you can can find the english description here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almdudler. Another food I have yet to see in USA, but maybe I wasn't looking, but I know for sure I NEVER bought it by accident is pasta sauce with a jalepano on the label. This is quite surprising if you notice the jalepano on the label as you are bolting to the kitchen to drink the water! The WATER!!!! OMGoodness it is AMAZING! Truly out of this world, out of the alps really, but wowza, right out of the tap pure sweet refreshment. I don't want to drink water from any other source...which by the way you barely can. I have seen 2 bottles of water since arriving in Vienna. 2 that's right. No one carries bottles of water around, they are not for sale in the store in packs of 24 and there are not coolers with 100 different kinds of drinks and waters for sale anywhere I have been. Every single place of business and person seems to be fully committed to the idea of conservation and recycling, I LOVE that. Happy Eating!